London: Swiss legend Roger Federer rallied from a set down to defeat Kei Nishikori 4-6, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 and set up a showdown in the Wimbledon semifinals against arch-rival Rafael Nadal, a contest that will be their first at the Cathedral of Tennis since the epic 2008 men’s singles final. Nadal also struggled in the early going of his quarterfinal match on Wednesday against American Sam Querrey before finding a higher gear to win 7-5, 6-2, 6-2, reports Efe news. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football together With his 100th match victory at the Wimbledon, the most he has recorded at any of the four Grand Slam tournaments, 37-year-old Federer set up the dream contest once more against Nadal that fans have been waiting for ever since the draw was unveiled. Ahead of that contest, Federer told the media he expected a different match than the ones they played at Wimbledon more than a decade ago. Last month the two met in another epic clash at the Roland Garros, where the Spaniard defeated the Swiss veteran. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian Open “(He has) improved so much over the years on this surface. He’s playing also very different than he used to. We haven’t played each other in a long, long time on this surface. He’s serving way different. I remember back in the day how he used to serve, and now how much bigger he’s serving, how much faster he finishes points,” the Swiss said. When Federer and Nadal meet in Friday’s match, it will be their first match at Wimbledon since the 2008 final, when the Spaniard held off a thrilling comeback by the Swiss to win 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-7 (8-10), 9-7. That contest was the longest final ever at Wimbledon and — considering the occasion and the pedigree of the two competitors — is widely considered the greatest match in tennis history. Prior to that match-up, Federer — winner of a record eight Wimbledon men’s singles titles — had defeated Nadal in the 2006 and 2007 finals at the All England Club. The legendary status of Federer and Nadal has only increased since 2008, with the Swiss now holding the record for most Grand Slam men’s singles titles with 20 and the Spaniard currently in second place all time with 18. The winner of the Federer-Nadal blockbuster though may not even be the favourite in Sunday’s final. Serbian world No. 1 Novak Djokovic was in sublime form in brushing aside Belgium’s David Goffin on Wednesday and will be the heavy favourite when he takes on Spain’s Roberto Bautista-Agut in Friday’s other men’s singles semifinal.
Container boxes are seen at the Yangshan Deep Water Port, part of the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, in Shanghai, China September 24, 2016. REUTERS/Aly Song/File PhotoBEIJING, China (AP) — China announced it filed a World Trade Organization challenge today to President Donald Trump’s latest tariff threat, stepping up its diplomatic efforts to counter US pressure in a spiralling technology dispute.The Trump administration has criticised the WTO as unable to deal with the problems posed by China, suggesting a challenge there might have little impact in Washington. But it might help Beijing rally support from governments that criticised Trump for going outside the WTO to impose tariffs on Chinese and other imports.The move is unusually swift, coming less than one week after the US Trade Representative proposed 10 per cent tariffs on a US$200 list of Chinese goods. Those wouldn’t take effect until at least September.China’s lopsided trade balance means it will run out of US imports for penalty tariffs before Washington does. Beijing is trying to recruit support, so far in vain, from Europe, South Korea and other governments.“We are unable to fight equally,” said Tu Xingquan, director of the China Institute for WTO Studies at the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing.Today’s move “indicates that we value the role of the WTO rules,” said Tu.Washington imposed 25 per cent tariffs on US$34 billion of Chinese goods in response to complaints Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology. Beijing responded immediately by imposing identical penalties on a similar amount of American imports.It has criticised the latest tariff threat but has only about US$80 billion of annual imports left for penalties.As for why Beijing hasn’t retaliated, “there might be some adjustment in China’s approach to countermeasures,” said Tu.Economists and business groups have suggested Beijing might try to disrupt operations of American companies, especially service industries, in which the United States runs a surplus. But Chinese officials have tried to appeal to American companies as allies.A Commerce Ministry spokesman said last week Beijing hoped they would lobby Washington to protect their own interests. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedChina vows retaliation for US$200B US tariff threatJuly 11, 2018In “World”Trump threatens to pull US out of World Trade OrganizationAugust 31, 2018In “latest news”Trump ‘ready’ to tax all Chinese importsJuly 20, 2018In “latest news”