Over $1 million of funding has been announced for green technology projects that will help Nova Scotia go green. MLA Maurice Smith, on behalf of Environment Minister Sterling Belliveau, made the announcement today, July 28, in Antigonish. It comes from the ecoNova Scotia Fund for Clean Air and Climate Change. “The government is showing genuine leadership by working closely with municipalities, businesses and community organizations to support green technologies that will help fight climate change and reduce operating costs,” said Mr. Smith. More than $400,000 will help The Town of Antigonish and county transform an existing retail building into a new library and program space, set to become a green showcase facility for the community and the province. Northumberland Regional High School receives over $10,500 in funding to install a small wind turbine and two solar panels that will power school computers and form the basis of hands-on lessons in green energy. Archibald Dairy Farm, a fifth generation farm in Newtown, Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s, receives more than $200,000 for a Biogas Energy Production project that will use green technology to turn cow manure and biosolids into heat and electricity for the farm. “This project will allow us to capture greenhouse gas emissions from our farm and convert them into renewable energy,” said Ian Archibald. “It is part of our long-term goals for minimizing the environmental footprint of our dairy farm, and for creating an exciting work environment to draw young farm entrepreneurs into the industry.” Other projects receiving funding are from Municipality of the District of Guysborough, Pictou County and the Town of New Glasgow. These projects are expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by about 1200 tonnes – equal to taking 250 cars off the road – and cut more than 2,000 kilograms of major air pollutant emissions. ecoNova Scotia funded projects help meet the objectives of the Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act and the Climate Change Action Plan. The ecoNova Scotia fund is administering funding from an original $42.5 million grant from the government of Canada. With this announcement, ecoNova Scotia has funded a total of 147 projects. All funding is now committed and no new applications are being accepted. For more information on the fund, please visit www.gov.ns.ca/ecoNovaScotia .
Sydney: Media companies are responsible for defamatory comments made on their Facebook pages, an Australian court said in a landmark ruling Monday. The New South Wales Supreme Court ruled that three media companies were responsible for user comments on a story about an indigenous youth detainee, Dylan Voller, in 2016 and 2017. Voller claimed that publishers of the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and Sky News were responsible for comments on their public Facebook pages — alleging he was a rapist and that he attacked a Salvation Army officer leaving the man blind in one eye. His lawyers said the comments were defamatory. Voller had been held in a youth detention in the Northern Territories, and videos of him being mistreated by staff prompted a Royal Commission inquiry in 2016. Lawyers for the media companies argued they could not be expected to filter the hundreds and thousands of comments posted on their Facebook pages day and night. But, acknowledging the ruling related to an “emerging area” of law, the court found that the media companies could have screened or blocked defamatory comments. The court considered cases from New Zealand to Hong Kong, and ultimately determined companies should pay costs and potential damages, but left the door open for appeal. It did not rule on whether the comments themselves were defamatory. The case raises questions about laws governing Facebook and other social media sites, notably, whether Australia’s already stringent defamation laws — which strongly favour those claiming defamation — have become even tougher. “It could have far-reaching implications for media organisations using Facebook as a platform,” said lawyers at Addisons in a legal briefing paper.
Amendments to the faculty handbook were approved during Senate 606, held March 20, and can be viewed online.Read the online summary report from the meeting, which includes information on the amendments.Read the President’s report of the meeting.
VANCOUVER – Goldcorp Inc. (TSX:G) reported a first-quarter profit of US$479 million on Wednesday as it faced difficult conditions at its Red Lake mine and lower grade ore.The results fell short of analyst expectations as poor ground conditions delayed work at the mine in Red Lake, Ont., and lower than expected grades of ore in other areas of the mine cut into production.“Solid operating results throughout most of our mine portfolio were offset by a challenging first quarter at Red Lake,” Goldcorp president and chief executive Chuck Jeannes said in a statement.“Adverse ground conditions at Red Lake delayed the development of new mining faces in the high grade zone which, taken together with lower grade in other areas of the mine, led to our slow start to 2012.”Gold production at Red Lake totalled 114,200 ounces for the quarter, down from 186,100 ounces a year ago.The gold miner, which keeps its books in U.S. dollars, said the profit amounted to 51 cents per diluted share in its latest quarter, down from $651 million or 81 cents per diluted share a year ago.Revenue grew to $1.35 billion, up from $1.22 billion.Excluding one-time items, the company reported an adjusted profit of $404 million or 50 cents per share, compared with $392 million or 49 cents per share a year ago.The average analyst estimate had been for a profit of 58 cents per share, according to those surveyed by Thomson Reuters.For the quarter, Goldcorp produced 524,700 ounces of gold, down from 637,600 a year ago, while it saw an average realized price of $1,707 per ounce, up from $1,394.Total cash costs amounted to $251 per ounce on a by-product basis, up from $188 a year ago.Silver production amounted to 6.6 million ounces compared 6.1 million ounces in the first three months of 2011.Despite the problems at Red Lake, Jeannes said the company’s Mexican operations were a particular area of strength in the first quarter with the commissioning of the final component of processing line at the Penasquito mine.Gold production at Penasquito in the quarter was 68,600 ounces, up from 57,600 a year ago.“The pace of construction and development activities at our growth projects remained impressive in the first quarter as well,” Jeannes said.“The Pueblo Viejo joint venture in the Dominican Republic is nearing completion and set to be our next source of new gold production in mid-2012. The Cerro Negro project in Argentina continues to progress toward expected initial gold production in the second half of 2013, and ongoing exploration success there is enhancing the prospects for additional gold reserve growth.”Goldcorp is Canada’s second-largest gold company.The company has mines as well as exploration and development projects in Canada, the United States, Mexico and Guatemala and Argentina.Shares in Goldcorp, which reported its results after the close of markets, were up 54 cents at $40.49 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Wednesday. Gold miner Goldcorp reports Q1 profit of US$479 million as revenue grows AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by News Staff Posted Apr 25, 2012 5:57 pm MDT