Maharashtra has 516 confirmed cases of COVID-19 – the disease caused by the coronavirus – and 26 people have died.While the government does plan to review the lockdown, set to end on April 14, three senior officials told Reuters this will depend on an assessment of the situation in each state, and lockdowns and restrictions would be extended in districts where the coronavirus case spread has continued.Public transport in large metros such as Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi, may only be restored in a phased manner days after the lockdown ends, said the officials, who asked not to be named as the plans were still under discussion.Restrictions Tightened The number of confirmed new coronavirus cases in South Asia neared 6,000 on Saturday, even as authorities in some cities tightened restrictions on movement and warned lockdowns could be extended in a bid to rein in the pandemic.”If people don’t obey the rules seriously and cases continue to rise, then there may be no option but to extend the lockdown,” Rajesh Tope, the health minister of Maharashtra state which includes the financial hub Mumbai, told Reuters. “It could be extended in Mumbai and urban areas of Maharashtra by two weeks.”India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said this week the country will pull out of the planned three-week lockdown in a phased manner. India has been hardest hit by the disease in South Asia with some 2,902 cases, of which 68 have died. The number of COVID-19 cases have more than doubled in South Asia in the last week. Health experts warn an epidemic in the region, home to a fifth of the world’s population, could overwhelm its already weak public health systems.But Muslim-majority Pakistan and Bangladesh, and India, home to the world’s largest Muslim minority, have struggled to convince conservative religious groups to maintain social distancing.On Friday, Pakistani Muslims at a Karachi mosque clashed with baton-wielding police trying to enforce new curbs on gatherings to prevent Friday prayers and contain coronavirus infections, officials said.This came after the government in the southern province of Sindh, home to the financial hub of Karachi, enforced a three-hour curfew on Friday afternoon, in a bid to persuade Muslim worshippers to pray at home.Pakistan has so far reported 2,547 coronavirus infections, fuelled by a jump in cases related to members of the Tablighi Jamaat, an orthodox Muslim proselytising group.Topics :
Share Nov. 9, 2007 Box Score PENSACOLA, Fla. – For third time in as many weeks West Florida (18-2-0) was facing a familiar foe in the form of Montevallo (17-3-1), however, unlike the previous matches the Falcons would get the best for the Argonauts, as they held on for a 2-1 victory Friday night at the UWF Sports Complex during the first round of the NCAA tournament.West Florida would crack the score board first with a goal in the 35th minute of action. Rafael Segal would find an open Keith Savage at the top of the box who fired a shot on goal that was save by Montevallo goalkeeper Melvin James Jr., but Jimmy McHenry was there to follow up the shot netting his team best 17th goal of the season. On the goal, Savage would be credited with the assist his 25th in his career, which is tied for the school record, set by Pat Cannon (1999-2001).The Argonauts would hold strong and take the 1-0 lead into the break. The Argonauts would out shoot the Falcons 7-3 in the first half and more then double the Falcons corner kick attempts (7-3).In the second half Montevallo was determined to even the match as they fired nine second half shots to West Florida seven.The Falcons would get the equalizer on a penalty kick in the in the 73rd minute, following a hand ball on the edge of the box. Glen Murphy would complete the kick.The game winning goal came in the seven minutes later when Temo Gonzalez found a wide open Milan Pualic on the back post who buried the ball past Argonauts goalkeeper Juan Garcia.”The penalty kick changed the momentum of the match,” said head coach Bill Elliott. “There is no doubt about it. We gave it our best. We had to play Montevallo three times in the last 15 days. This was just a tough time to come out with a loss.”For the Falcons it is the first time in 12 matches that they have defeated the Argonauts dating back to 2000. It was also the first win for Montevallo in an NCAA Tournament fixture.The loss bring West Florida’s season to a disappointing end after they broke several school record including a 18 game winning streak and an eight-game road winning streak.”There is so much to be proud of,” said Elliott. “We were ranked third in the nation before conference and we won 18 games in a row. We have made it to regionals for the past two seasons. I have a great group of seniors who I hate to lose, but starting tomorrow we have to start preparing for next season.” Print Friendly Version West Florida Fall in National Tournament
THE encampment and collective training of Guyana’s 12-man athletics team to the Flow CARIFTA Games is set to begin from this Friday and run up to April 10, as the team finalise preparations for the international meet in Curacao.The athletes will be housed at the National Gymnasium and are expected to benefit from the expertise of several of Guyana’s top coaches,including Johnny Gravesande and Moses Pantlitz,who will be travelling alongside the team for the April 15 – 18 meet.Speaking with Chronicle Sport,Gravesande explained that apart from breeding a sense of togetherness with the team, the encampment is also to provide a chance for the athletes from other clubs to familiarise themselves with the travelling coaches.“We want to get the athletes together working as one, for the athletes who wouldn’t have their coaches there [in Curacao],we want to get them to respect us as coaches, and for us to all respect each other and work as one,” Gravesande said.During the encampment the athletes will be training at the National Track and Field Centre, in Leonora from 8.00hrs – 14.00hrsdaily.Athletes from across four different clubs make up this year’s CARIFTA team. Just over 40% of the team’s athletes are from Linden.Studying in the U.S. Natricia Hooper is the only overseas based athlete on the team; the remainder of athletes are from Georgetown clubs.Head coach for the Upper Demerara Schools Track Club,Mr Gravesande has two athletes on this year’s team: jumper Chantoba Bright and sprinter Daniel Williams.Pantlitz has four athletes from his Christianburg Wismar Secondary School Clubs. His athletes are Compton Caesar, Tremaine Brown and Onasha Rogers. The other athletes are Kenisha Phillips, Anfernee Headecker and Tarique Boyle from the Guyana Defence Force club,and Claudrice McKoy, Samuel Lynch and Matthew McKenzie from the Running Braves Athletics Club. The team is set to depart Guyana on April 13 and return on April 20.
Tyson describes Joshua as a “happy fighter” who is “fast for a big guy”, and his admiration grew when the Briton survived the first knockdown of his career to stop Klitschko in the 11th round at Wembley Stadium.He places huge emphasis on the heart Joshua showed to “finish the job”, insisting such grit is the most important quality in the sport.“Joshua has the potential to do a lot of things,” said Tyson, 50. “He’s got the look and throws a lot of hard punches. But there is so much pressure on him. I was in Dubai and there are big posters of him there.”Tyson was stopped from entering the UK in 2013 because of previous convictions, one of which saw him serve three years of a six-year jail sentence imposed in 1992 for raping a teenage beauty-pageant contestant.In a career packed with incident, he also regained the WBC world title after his spell in jail, bit the ear of Evander Holyfield during a 1997 bout and filed for bankruptcy in 2002, three years before his final fight.He told 5 live’s boxing podcast: “The heavyweight championship will drive people crazy, you know that right? It’s like a crown of thorns. Everyone wants to use you for something. It’s like being the President of the United States.“Joshua can’t get the big head. He has to focus on fighting. When you start focusing on money, girls or whatever it is, it’s going downhill. No religion, nothing, you can do those things when the fight is over. Let’s see if he can handle that stuff.“It’s his time. I could be wrong, I’m not the gospel of boxing but he impressed me with Klitschko.”A similarity between Tyson and Joshua can be drawn as both men found boxing after difficult spells in their youth.By his own admission, Tyson lived in the “hell hole” neighbourhood of Brownsville in Brooklyn, New York. Joshua meanwhile, pled guilty to possession of cannabis with the intent to supply just over a year before he won Olympic gold in 2012.Tyson, whose father had left and mother had died by the time he was 16, found Cus D’Amato – who became his legal guardian, taught him to read and write, and coached him on the road to boxing stardom.His new book, ‘Iron Ambition’, focuses on his relationship with D’Amato, who Tyson says forced fighters to visualise success and believe in themselves.“I never had a father figure but I knew what it was like to have a father being with Cus,” he said. “My objective was to make my father happy. He wanted to have a heavyweight champion of the world and that’s what I wanted to do.“That’s the 25-million-dollar question. How did I get hooked to that old white Italian guy? What did he say to me to make me believe this other life is over and I stick with the boxing world? He made me worship the fighters.“I came with no self-esteem and he turned me into a megalomaniac. I know he gave Muhammad Ali instruction for the George Foreman fight. He was an amazing man.“He’d give you the reaffirmation that you are the greatest fighter in the world and no man can beat you.”D’Amato died a year before Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion in history at 20, beating Trevor Berbick in two rounds he believes his tough late trainer would have called “sloppy”.Iron Mike had fought 28 times in 20 months as a pro to land the WBC title but concedes the loss of the man guiding him ushered in a “dark period”.“Everyone else was trying to get me for their own reasons, I was just lost without him,” added Tyson, who took champagne to D’Amato’s grave after his title win.“I’d be a bum, imagine what I’d be without meeting that guy. I don’t think I’d be in good shape. I’m so happy I met that old gentleman. He was a good man.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Anthony Joshua must prove he can handle the pressure and distractions of holding world heavyweight titles, says former champion Mike Tyson.Joshua, 27, knocked out Wladimir Klitschko in May to add the WBA title to the IBF strap he already held.But Tyson – a two-time world heavyweight champion – has warned the position can be “a crown of thorns”.In a wide-ranging interview with BBC Radio 5 live boxing’s Mike Costello, Tyson outlined his belief in Joshua’s ability, gave his views on a potential Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor bout and offered insight into the man who turned him into the youngest heavyweight champion in history.
Serena Williams kept her bid for a calendar-year grand slam on track, powering past big sister Venus 6-2 1-6 6-3 on a steamy star-studded night at the US Open.Serena moved into the semi-finals, just two wins from history, in what proved the toughest test of her four matches.It is a major tennis event whenever the Williams sisters clash, but with Venus, twice a U.S. Open winner, standing in the way of defending champion Serena’s quest, their latest meeting turned into a primetime extravaganza, pulling in a crowd of A-listers including U.S. presidential candidate and real estate mogul Donald Trump and television celebrity Oprah Winfrey.Playing under the bright lights on the biggest stage in tennis, the Williams Show crackled with more tension and drama than a Broadway production, relegating men’s champion Marin Cilic to a warmup act while world number one Novak Djokovic pulled mop up duty.The sisters had met 26 times before but never with so much riding on the result. A win by Venus would move her a step closer to a first grand slam since 2008 Wimbledon but would scuttle Serena’s chances of joining their sport’s most exclusive club of calendar-year grand slam winners which comprises just three members, Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court and Steffi Graf. The buzz around Arthur Ashe Stadium was like that of heavyweight title fight and the action on the court was much the same as Serena and Venus put family ties aside and slugged it out like sworn enemies.”She’s the toughest player I ever played in my life and the best person I know,” said Serena in an on-court interview. “So it’s going against your best friend and at the same time going against the greatest competitor for me in women’s tennis, so it was really difficult today.”When I’m playing her, I don’t think of her as my sister, because she’s playing so well, hitting big serves and running a lot of balls down.”The contest featured more intensity and emotion than in most of their other matches. Serena stared at the court and rarely looked up to make eye contact with her sister until the match was over and the sisters shared an embrace at the net.The 33-year-old top seed, winner of 21 grand slam singles titles, took charge of the opening set by securing service breaks in the fifth and seventh games after a brilliant start by Venus. However, Venus in the second set looked more like the player who has claimed seven grand slam singles titles, unleashing her power and drawing groundstroke errors from Serena for two service breaks that sent the match to a deciding third set.Serena seized control early in the third and rode the momentum to the finish and a final four meeting with unseeded Italian Roberta Vinci.Earlier, Cilic and Vinci were the first through to the quarter-finals but both needed to go the distance against tough French resistance.With Serena and Venus waiting in the wings, Cilic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga kept everything on hold as the ninth-seeded Croat battled his way to a 6-4 6-4 3-6 6-7(3) 6-4 win over the scrappy Frenchman.– Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Wellington Police notes for Wednesday, September 3, 2014:â€¢2:46 a.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to glass in the 400 block S. C, Wellington.â€¢2:40 a.m. Officers investigated harassment by telecom device by a known suspect in the 2400 block N. A, Wellington.â€¢9 a.m. Officers investigated harassment by telecom device by a known suspect in the 1400 block W. 8th, Wellington.â€¢2:10 p.m. Officer investigated theft of cash in the 1600 block W. 8th, Wellington.â€¢6:18 p.m. Jeffrey V. Holmes, 43, Wellington was arrested on a Sumner County Bench warrant for failure to appear.â€¢7 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 600 block E. Harvey, Wellington.â€¢7:48 p.m. Officers took a report of children In need of care in the 700 block N. Blaine, Wellington.
A South Florida man who was having a bad day at work decided to phone in a bomb threat so he could get out of it, says the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.Officials arrested 36-year-old Richard Hamilton of Miramar last Thursday and charged him with making a false report of a bomb.According to a probable cause affidavit, he was working with a construction crew at Wellington’s water treatment center at about 7 a.m. when deputies arrived to investigate a bomb threat.Deputies say Hamilton made the 911 call from his cellphone, prompting an evacuation of the water treatment facility building.Initially, Hamilton told deputies he lost his phone, but later “took full responsibility for making the bomb threat call,” the affidavit states.“Richard stated that there was no bomb and that he made the threats after having a bad day and wanting to get out of work,” the affidavit continues.Palm Beach County jail records show that Hamilton was released from jail on Friday on a $10,000 bond.