Follow the news on Iraq Reporters Without Borders condemns the libel suit that Faraj Haidari, the president of Iraq’s electoral commission, has brought against Hashem Hassan, a journalist who once had a very high profile and who was jailed under Saddam Hussein. He now heads the University of Baghdad’s media department.Haidari is demanding 2 billion dinars (1.2 million euros) in damages for one of the articles Hassan wrote for the 4 May issue of the newspaper Al-Mashreq. It questioned the commission’s legitimacy and professionalism, referred to corruption allegations and accused it of wasting public funds. “It is not reasonable to spend millions of dollars on people who work for just one month every four years, during elections,” the article said.Hassan has been summoned to appear before a court in the southeast Baghdad district of Rusafa tomorrow. Although the lawsuit was filed on 11 May, he was unaware of it until he received the summons on 19 May. This has given him little time to prepare his defence. The amount of damages sought by Haidari is permitted by Iraq’s publications law.Reporters Without Borders regards this prosecution as a direct violation of free speech and media freedom and calls for its withdrawal. It would be unacceptable if Hassan were convicted over an opinion piece. The press freedom organization will pay close attention to the way the Iraqi courts handle this case. News Organisation IraqMiddle East – North Africa IraqMiddle East – North Africa Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Help by sharing this information December 16, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts May 21, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Star journalist sued by head of electoral commission Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” to go further RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” News News December 28, 2020 Find out more RSF_en February 15, 2021 Find out more News
Pension schemes are paying their active investment managers up to 70% more than six years ago even though average fee rates have dropped for most asset classes, according to consultancy LCP.For an active global equity mandate that had matched the return of the global equity index, an investor could be paying up to 70% more in fees than they had been in 2011, LCP reported in its latest Investment Management Fee Survey.It said this highlighted how active managers were rewarded for simply retaining assets, and not necessarily making above-benchmark returns.The report’s author, Matt Gibson, partner and head of investment research at LCP, said: “Investment managers have done very well out of increases in assets under management over recent years.” But these increases had mostly been driven by general rises in equity and bond markets, he added.“Whilst we welcome the reduction in fee rates in many asset classes, overall, investment managers are charging much more but don’t seem to be doing more,” Gibson said.The findings of the report – which examined total costs for a hypothetical £50m (€59m) investment across the most popular asset classes used by LCP clients – showed it was important for schemes to monitor their investment managers regularly and put negotiating pressure on them to reduce fees, Gibson said.Of the asset classes covered by the report, the highest average costs were for UK property at £590,000 (roughly 1.18%), while passive UK equity was the cheapest at £38,000 (roughly 0.08%).Certain hedge fund strategies had even higher charges, the consultancy said.The survey separately found benefits for defined contribution schemes using platforms instead of accessing funds directly. LCP said a £10m allocation to a passive global equity fund would be £5,500 cheaper via a platform.LCP’s survey also reported a lack of consistent and transparent reporting on transaction costs. This echoed recent work from the Financial Conduct Authority, the UK regulator, which criticised fund managers for weak pricing and a lack of transparency. The asset management trade body, the Investment Association, is currently consulting on a new fee disclosure code.While some managers only gave data on explicit trading costs, such as broker’s commission and stamp duty, others tried to quantify implicit costs such as dealing spreads and the impact of the fund’s transactions on the market price of a security, the consultancy said.
MICHAEL Jordan has given an emotional, moving eulogy for his late friend Kobe Bryant. The 57-year-old former basketball player stood on the stage at the Staples Center in LA with tears streaming down his face as he paid tribute to Bryant and his daughter Gianna.“Kobe left nothing in the tank,” Michael Jordan said. “He left it all on the floor.“Kobe was my dear friend. He was like a little brother,” he added. The NBA hall of fame star then mentioned how people often tried to compare the two basketball players.“Everyone always wanted to talk about the comparisons between he and I. I just wanted to talk about Kobe,” Mr Jordan said.“Now I have to look at another crying meme for the next….” the basketball player said while tears streamed down his face.He referenced a past meme that circulated showing the NBA star crying during his Basketball Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2009.“I told my wife I wasn’t going to do this because I didn’t want to see this for the next three or four years but that is what Kobe Bryant does to me,” Mr Jordan added. Bryant died in a helicopter crash on 26 January, along with his daughter Gianna and seven other people.His wife Vanessa Bryant, who also gave a moving eulogy during the service, teared up during Jordan’s speech, as did singer and actor Jennifer Lopez.The two women were seen in camera footage wiping their eyes while Jordan spoke about his love for Kobe Bryant.“When Kobe Bryant died, a piece of me died,” he said. “Those are the memories that we have to live with and learn from. I promise you from this day forward I live with the memories of knowing I had a little brother … Rest in peace little brother.”(Independent)
This was proven, the court said, “by the fact that he filed an application for registration of the word mark ‘IKER CASILLAS’, a mark corresponding to the name of another famous football player, on the same day he sought registration of the mark ‘NEYMAR’.”“Mr Moreira puts forward no convincing argument to disprove the finding of EUIPO that there was no explanation for his application for registration of the contested mark other than the desire to ‘free-ride’ on the footballer’s renown,” the court said.It is the second EU trademark victory inside a year for South American megastars, after Argentina and Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi won a battle to register his name, seeing off a seven-year challenge by Spanish cycling gear manufacturer Massi.The ruling comes after a tough end to the season for the 27-year-old Neymar, who is also mired in legal tussles in Spain.Neymar — whose PSG season fizzled out after a shock Champions League exit to Manchester United — is facing a tax probe in Spain over bonuses he earned at Barcelona as well as his world-record transfer to Paris.The Catalan giants are also suing Neymar for breach of contract after he transferred for a record 222 million euros ($249 million) in 2017, less than a year after he signed a new five-year deal. FILE PHOTO: Neymar Brussels, Belgium | AFP | Brazilian superstar Neymar scored a legal win on Tuesday as a top EU court ruled against a businessman who tried to claim copyright on the world’s most expensive footballer’s name.The General Court of the European Union said that Carlos Moreira had acted in “bad faith” when he tried to trademark the name “Neymar” in 2012, confirming a decision by the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) to invalidate the registration.The court rejected arguments from Moreira, who applied to register “Neymar” as a trademark for clothes, footwear and hats in December 2012, that he had little knowledge of football and simply liked the sound of the word.“The Court upholds the decision of EUIPO that Mr Moreira was acting in bad faith when he filed the application for registration of the mark ‘NEYMAR’,” the court said.EUIPO ruled in Neymar’s favour when he challenged Moreira’s registration in 2016, prompting the Portuguese businessman to take the case to the General Court, the EU’s second-highest tribunal.Moreira claimed that when he registered the name, he did not know Neymar — who had been named South American Footballer of the Year in 2011 and attracted interest from a host of top European clubs — was a rising star.The court dismissed the argument, saying it was clear Moreira had “more than a little knowledge of the world of football”. Share on: WhatsApp