News Reporters Without Borders deplores yesterday’s arrest of two Moroccan journalists, Hicham El Madraoui and Mahfoud Aït Bensaleh, who had gone to Algiers to cover the presidential election for the Moroccan weekly Assahrae Al Ousbouiya.“Their arrest does not bode well for President Abdelaziz Bouteflika’s third term,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The international media have been prevented from covering this election properly. We hope the media will be allowed to cover Bouteflika’s next administration in a better manner.”The Algerian embassy in the Moroccan capital of Rabat told Medraoui and Bensalah at the start of month that they would able to obtain accreditation at the press centre in Algiers. On their arrival at Algiers airport on 8 April, they provided all the information required to enter the country. When they went to the press centre, they were told to come back the next day.They returned to the press centre at 8 a.m. yesterday but were turned away and were then arrested and interrogated for more than four hours at Algiers police headquarters. They were finally released after the Moroccan embassy intervened. On returning to their hotel, they found that their room had been ransacked. Plain-clothes policemen followed them yesterday evening.The police questioned them again this morning as they were about to leave for the airport and took their passports. The passports were returned only after the Moroccan embassy intervened and an embassy official accompanied them to the airport.Assahrae Al Ousbouiya editor Mohamed Reda At-Taoujni told Reporters Without Borders: “Moroccan journalists are used to having problems working in Algeria. No Moroccan journalist wanted to go to Algeria to cover the elections because they knew it would be impossible for them to work.”——–Three French publications banned on the eve of presidential election: http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=30789Open letter to Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika : http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=30769 to go further April 29, 2021 Find out more RSF_en News Receive email alerts AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa Algeria pressures reporters by delaying renewal of accreditation Harassment of Algerian reporters intensifies in run-up to parliamentary elections Reporters Without Borders deplores yesterday’s arrest of two Moroccan journalists, Hicham El Madraoui and Mahfoud Aït Bensaleh, who had gone to Algiers to cover the presidential election for the Moroccan weekly Assahrae Al Ousbouiya. April 10, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two Moroccan journalistes prevented from covering presidential election News News Help by sharing this information AlgeriaMiddle East – North Africa Organisation May 12, 2021 Find out more Algeria : Reporter jailed after covering Tuareg protests in southern Algeria Follow the news on Algeria May 18, 2021 Find out more
Facebook Google+ Twitter Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Friday February 14th Harps come back to win in Waterford FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Pinterest Twitter News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th DL Debate – 24/05/21 Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Friday February 14th:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/14news.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR AudioHomepage BannerNewsPlayback Pinterest By News Highland – February 14, 2020 Previous articlePlans for phase 2 of Burtonport/ Arranmore Regeneration Project publishedNext articleLate Institute goal earns draw at Warrenpoint Town News Highland Facebook WhatsApp Google+ WhatsApp Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A severed arm was found on a side street near downtown Hempstead, 22 miles from where a partially dismembered woman’s body was found in Bay Shore a day earlier, police said.Hempstead village police confirmed that a 911 caller reported discovering the arm outside of their Webb Avenue home near the corner of Washington Street shortly after 2 p.m. Wednesday.“The body part was removed to the Nassau County Medical Examiner’s office for further examination,” Suffolk County police, who crossed into Nassau to join the investigation, said in a statement.It is unclear if the arm is from the unidentified dead woman’s dismembered body that was found in a vacant lot on the corner of Maple Avenue and Gibson Street by two people walking to the Fire Island ferry terminal on Tuesday morning. Suffolk medical examiners are conducting an autopsy to determine the woman’s identity and cause of death.Suffolk police said their homicide squad detectives responded to the scene in Hempstead along with their Nassau County police counterparts. Nassau police declined to comment.After the first discovery, Suffolk police said in a statement that they dispatched K-9 units to search the Gilgo Beach area “in the interest of being thorough.” But, they said that “there are no known links between the partially dismembered body found in Bay Shore … and the Gilgo Beach murders.”A total of 11 sets of human remains were found in a year between Jones and Oak beaches after police uncovered the bodies of the first four, who investigators have said they believe to be the victims of a serial killer, in December 2010. Only half of the remains have been identified and no suspects have been named.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigations. Suffolk police ask anyone with information on the Bay Shore or Gilgo cases to call them at 631-852-6392 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Maharashtra has 516 confirmed cases of COVID-19 – the disease caused by the coronavirus – and 26 people have died.While the government does plan to review the lockdown, set to end on April 14, three senior officials told Reuters this will depend on an assessment of the situation in each state, and lockdowns and restrictions would be extended in districts where the coronavirus case spread has continued.Public transport in large metros such as Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi, may only be restored in a phased manner days after the lockdown ends, said the officials, who asked not to be named as the plans were still under discussion.Restrictions Tightened The number of confirmed new coronavirus cases in South Asia neared 6,000 on Saturday, even as authorities in some cities tightened restrictions on movement and warned lockdowns could be extended in a bid to rein in the pandemic.”If people don’t obey the rules seriously and cases continue to rise, then there may be no option but to extend the lockdown,” Rajesh Tope, the health minister of Maharashtra state which includes the financial hub Mumbai, told Reuters. “It could be extended in Mumbai and urban areas of Maharashtra by two weeks.”India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said this week the country will pull out of the planned three-week lockdown in a phased manner. India has been hardest hit by the disease in South Asia with some 2,902 cases, of which 68 have died. The number of COVID-19 cases have more than doubled in South Asia in the last week. Health experts warn an epidemic in the region, home to a fifth of the world’s population, could overwhelm its already weak public health systems.But Muslim-majority Pakistan and Bangladesh, and India, home to the world’s largest Muslim minority, have struggled to convince conservative religious groups to maintain social distancing.On Friday, Pakistani Muslims at a Karachi mosque clashed with baton-wielding police trying to enforce new curbs on gatherings to prevent Friday prayers and contain coronavirus infections, officials said.This came after the government in the southern province of Sindh, home to the financial hub of Karachi, enforced a three-hour curfew on Friday afternoon, in a bid to persuade Muslim worshippers to pray at home.Pakistan has so far reported 2,547 coronavirus infections, fuelled by a jump in cases related to members of the Tablighi Jamaat, an orthodox Muslim proselytising group.Topics :
Tipperary could be without goalkeeper Evan Comerford for the entire Championship.The C.C.C of the Premier county board has proposed a 12 week suspension for “minor physical interference ” with a referee during a match between his club Kilsheelan-Kilcash and JK Brackens.Comerford, who was an all star nominee last season, has 3 days to appeal the proposed punishment. Tipp are already without Philip Austin and Ciaran McDonald through injury for their Championship opener with Cork on Saturday week in Pairc Ui Rinn. Photo © Tipp FM