AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia September 3, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Official secrets decree threatens press freedom to go further News Receive email alerts RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh RSF_en Organisation Follow the news on Azerbaijan News AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more News June 4, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about a presidential decree on official secrets that tightens government control over news content.”The decree hampers the work of journalists, violates their right not toreveal their sources and paves the way for self-censorship,” ReportersWithout Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter toPresident Heidar Aliev. “It is even more unacceptable because you havepledged to the Council of Europe to respect European standards on freedom of information”, the letter added, calling on the government to withdraw the decree.The 28 August decree requires the media to check if a news item involves state security before putting it out. In cases of doubt, a presidential commission has seven days to decide whether or not it can be published. If the item is deemed to involve state security, the commission can demand access to the journalist’s sources. News Help by sharing this information April 9, 2021 Find out more
This, of course, is the time of the year baseball teams start watching the scoreboard every inning of their game. They tell you they don’t, but I will guarantee you that if you ask them what their main rival was doing they would give you the score before they ever gave it a thought. Next time you are at a game late in the season watch the players’ reactions when the fans suddenly react and there is no action on the field. Their eyes will automatically go to the scoreboard. The National League Central Division has been the most competitive all year and continues to go down to the wire. You can bet that the players of the top three teams are watching the scoreboard! This is something quite unique to baseball because it is one of the few sports where all the scores are available during the entire game. Sports like football and basketball might cover part of the scores, but usually they don’t have room to cover all of them. Of course, having been a Cubs fan, we stopped watching the scoreboard on April 15–that is usually when the Cubs are out of the race.
Press Association They had plenty of possession, particularly in a much-improved second-half display, but sub-standard supply – Florian Thauvin too often employed pitching wedge delivery rather than the three iron which was required to hand keeper Heurelho Gomes with an afternoon of catching practice – to a blunted forward line blighted their efforts. McClaren, whose team was booed from the pitch, said: “I always say you are where you deserve to be and at the present moment, that’s where we are. “I said from the beginning of the season, judge us after 10 games, and I’d still say the same. The next two are tough, but this is a tough job. “There’s no coming in and saying, ‘Right, turn that page and everything will change’. We are changing a lot of things, introducing a lot of things and in the short time we’ve had good, we’ve had bad, we’ve had indifferent. “But what we are learning is yes, they said it was hard and it is.” He told Hornets Player: “We targeted this as being a big month – there are teams in and around us that we are playing, teams like Swansea and Crystal Palace, who have high aspirations of pushing on. “It’s been a good month so far and if we can win all three, it will be a fantastic month. “In the Premier League, it can easily change to losing five on the bounce, so we must be very careful that we approach the Crystal Palace game with a bit of caution and give them the respect they deserve.” If Watford gave Newcastle respect, they did so only briefly as they set about dismantling Steve McClaren’s new-look side to devastating effect. Striker Odion Ighalo led Magpies skipper Fabricio Coloccini a merry dance throughout, firing the visitors into a 10th-minute lead after Massadio Haidara had wastefully surrendered possession on the left, and then doubling his tally with 28 minutes gone after Deeney had split a flat-footed defence to expose keeper Tim Krul. Full-back Daryl Janmaat – worryingly for McClaren once again Newcastle’s most effective attacker – reduced the deficit with 62 minutes gone to end a 464-minute wait for a league goal, but that was as good as it got for the home side. Deeney said: “In the Championship, perhaps we would have gone on to score four or five, but we were a little naïve in the sense that we didn’t try and boss them.” Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores left Tyneside wearing a broad smile as opposite number McClaren was left to reflect upon a dangerous blend of porous defending and impotent attacking after a sixth league game passed without a victory on the board. Watford skipper Troy Deeney is targeting a perfect September after playing his part in back-to-back Barclays Premier League victories. The 27-year-old striker and his team-mates followed up their 1-0 home win over Swansea last weekend – their first of the campaign – with a 2-1 success at struggling Newcastle on Saturday to climb into the top half of the table. They entertain Crystal Palace next weekend determined to complete a maximum nine-point haul for the month, but with Deeney warning they cannot allow their standards to slip.
By Chris Rotolo |OCEANPORT – A school shooting in Florida followed by an emotional Board of Education meeting have brought school safety concerns to the conversational forefront in Oceanport, and Councilman Steve Solan wants to take action.“I have two kids in our schools. One in Wolf Hill Elementary and the other in the Maple Place School. So anything that can be done to increase school safety I am all for looking into it,” Solan said.The tragic gun violence event that claimed 17 lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida last month continues to resonate in the borough, after overwhelming public opposition led the Board of Education to remove the former Commvault building – located a 2 Crescent Place – from consideration for the site of a new $30 million school complex.Rather than pursuing a more modern facility that meets modern security standards – like the one located on Crescent Place – Oceanport and Sea Bright students will remain in “unfit buildings for at least another two to three years,” according to School Board President Michelle McMulllin, who addressed the capacity crowd that gathered at the Feb. 21 board meeting.A presentation delivered on Jan. 24 – when the ex-Commvault facility was selected as the best of three proposed options – revealed that Oceanport’s current schools lacked intruder-protective entrances approved by the Department of Homeland Security, a safety concern that has Solan investigating new ways to address the matter.One option Solan says he will pursue is to have armed police officers stationed inside the borough’s schools, as the councilman hopes to take advantage of a bill signed in 2016 by former Gov. Chris Christie allowing armed, retired cops to provide security in our schools.“I think this is a very reasonable way to approach the issue,” Solan said. “The resources at a state level are there and I’m going to be scheduling a meeting very soon with our superintendent, Tom Farrell, to discuss it further.” Solan said. “I don’t think there’s any reason why we shouldn’t be looking to take advantage of that situation.”Along with Farrell, Solan will be inviting the borough’s Emergency Management Coordinator, Mauro “Buzz” Baldanza, as well as Oceanport Chief of Police Michael P. Kelly, who issued a statement to residents on March 2 addressing the safety of local schools, and his department’s response and tactical training.“The well-being of your children, who you entrust to our care, is our most important responsibility,” Kelly said. “The Oceanport Police Department is trained, prepared and ready to respond to any incident in a quick and decisive manner. Officers are all trained in Active Shooter Response and mitigation. We are continuously training with surrounding jurisdictions and we re-evaluate our tactics and response to any situation that may occur in our schools.”Kelly went on describe his officers’ daily regimen of school patrols, stating that officers are on-site at both Wolf Hill Elementary and the Maple Place School each day during the arrival and dismissal of students, and complete mandatory “hallway walks” multiple times a day. There are also three D.A.R.E. officers who are present in the schools while teaching their drug-awareness curriculum.Though Kelly has assured police presence at Oceanport’s local schools, Solan remains adamant that having a full-time Class III officer on-site should be a standard operating procedure, and is placing the burden on him and his peers on Borough Council and the Board of Education to develop a plan to fund the positions.“The biggest thing is figuring out how to pay for such an officer, but the good thing is there are no benefits involved because these are retired officers. It’s really just an hourly position. So whether it’s all paid for by the Board of Education, or it’s a shared cost with the police department, it’s something that needs to be discussed.”Solan hopes that with the discussion about school safety continuing, so will talks about how to upgrade the facilities at Wolf Hill and Maple Place.“I’ve done several walk-throughs, as has Chief Kelly, and there are safety upgrades that can be made immediately. Will they cost money? Absolutely. But I don’t think they will break the bank. These are necessities that need to find their way into the budget,” said Solan.“I know the school board has had its hands full talking about this school project. But other facets of our schools should not be lacking because of a lack of attention. I’m not saying that’s what happened, but sometimes things fall through the cracks and unfortunately it takes a tragic event to bring things back to light, when they should have been at the forefront the entire time.”This article was first published in the March 8-15, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
The Nelson Selects U14 Boys team travelled to the Lower Mainland on the Thanksgiving weekend to compete in the Richmond FC Thanksgiving Tournament where the Heritage City squad came away with the gold medal.“We wanted the boys to have a chance to continue playing into the fall, rather than wrapping up our season after the Sandpoint tournament at the beginning of September, said coach Kerry Dyck. “I’m not aware of any other team from Nelson having attended this tournament. We didn’t have any idea about the teams we would face, and what to expect.” The Selects managed to sweep the round robin draw to reach the final without allowing a single goal. “We beat a Vancouver team 3-0, a Richmond team 1-0 and a Coquitlam team 4-0 in the group stage,” explained coach Lyle Hill. “Needless to say, we were very pleased with the boys play winning every game, and not conceding a goal in the process.” Goal scorers were Blake Markin-Hellekson, Thomas Baxter, Keanu Tromans, Owen Box, Ezra Foy Bradey Sookero and Josh Yasek. Sookero played two games in goal and Markin-Hellekson one, for the shut outs. In the final, the Nelson squad faced a Vancouver team, and ended in a scoreless tie after regulation and needing shoot outs to decide the final placings.For the second tournament in a row, though, the boys came through in the shoot out, winning 5-4 after six shooters. Netting for Nelson were Yasek, Foy, Jesse Thurston, Grayson Hill and Luka Eyre. “I was especially pleased with the style of play our boys employed throughout the weekend. We really played good possession soccer, rather than kick and run, which is what we, along with Brett Adams, our Whitecaps Technical Director, have been working on all along,” said Dyck. “It was a fantastic end to a great season for the boys!”
ARCADIA, Calif. (June 30, 2016)–With precision like timing and teamwork, Santa Anita Park has completed installation of its all-new Bermuda turf course, which will be ready for use with the onset of the track’s 2016 Autumn Meet on Sept. 30.Including the Camino Real hillside component, Santa Anita’s unique turf course encompasses approximately nine acres of surface area, which has now been amended and covered. The Bandera Bermuda turf mixture was grown in La Quinta, Calif., approximately 120 miles to the east, near Palm Springs.“This has been a major undertaking and we’re very pleased with how the entire project has progressed,” said Joe Morris, Senior Vice President, West Coast Operations for The Stronach Group. “The hillside portion of the course was completed about three weeks ago and the oval was finished late yesterday. This particular turf has proven very resilient in our immediate area and right now, with the warm temperatures we’ve been experiencing, conditions are optimal for fast growth.“The hillside has already begun to root, so that’s great news. About 40 percent of our races are run on grass, so this project is obviously a huge priority for us, our customers and horsemen.“We’ve been told that we’d be able to run on it in 45 days, but with the installation completed on time, we’ll have 90 days before we have horses competing on it. We’re excited about opening day on Sept. 30 and we’re looking forward to welcoming the best horses in the world here for the Breeders’ Cup in November (4 & 5).”Santa Anita’s current 40-day Spring Meet, which began May 5, will conclude a week from Sunday, July 10.
Use the effect masking tools to create quick vignettes in Premiere Pro!The effect masking tools in the latest version of Premiere are super powerful. An obvious use is to create face blurs, but it can be used for so much more!vIn previous versions of Premiere, one of the only ways to create a vignette effect without buying a third-party plugin was to create a vignette in SpeedGrade, save it as a preset, and import it using the Lumetri engine (you can read more about this process here). With the effect masking tools in the latest version, you can do this using a simple Luma Curves effect!We’ll start with this image that we want to put a vignette on:Next, we’ll add a Luma Curve effect:We’ll add a point and increase the contrast by pulling it down a little, then we’ll click the “Create Elliptical Mask” button on the effect:Clicking “Create Elliptical Mask” will add an oval mask that you can see and interact with in the Program Monitor, which limits the effect to that area:To create our vignette, we’ll set the feather to around 400, check the “Inverted” box so that the effect is applied outside the mask, not inside, and we’ll click and drag the points of the mask in the Program Monitor to be close to the edges of the frame:There you have it! It’s super easy, and uses just the built-in tools of Premiere:Unfortunately, you can’t save mask setting with effect presets, so you’ll have to set it up each time you want to create a vignette. On the plus side, you can now adjust and control your vignette setting right in Premiere, and it’s super fast to set up!Here are a few more Premiere Pro tips. Take a look!Premiere Pro Tutorial: Compositing Live-Action and Timelapse FootageThree Quick Tips for Editing in Premiere ProQuick Tip: Nudge Clips in Premiere ProDid you find this quick Premiere Pro tip helpful? Got any examples of vignettes you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!
New Zealand woman cricketer Hayley Jensen married Australian player Nicola Hancock in a beautiful same-sex ceremony last weekend.Hayley Jensen and Nicola Hancock have both played for the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League before Jensen made the cross-town move to the Melbourne Renegades for the third edition of the tournament.Melbourne Stars celebrated the news by sharing a wedding picture on their official Twitter handle.From #TeamGreen, congratulations to Stars bowler Nicola Hancock who married her partner Hayley Jensen last weekend! the club captioned the picture.From #TeamGreen, congratulations to Stars bowler Nicola Hancock who married her partner Hayley Jensen last weekend! pic.twitter.com/QvWb7Ue0QxMelbourne Stars (@StarsBBL) April 18, 2019Hayley Jensen and Nicola Hancock also took to their Instagaram profiles to share an alluring picture from the wedding day. Nicola Hancock had earlier announced the news of the two marrying each other 46 days ago on Instagram. Nicola Hancock shared her wedding picture on Instagram. (Instagram/nichancock44)Hayley Jensen, 26, made her international cricket debut for New Zealand in 2014. Jensen was named the best player in the Victoria Women’s Premier Cricket competition for the 2017-2018 season.Nicola Hancock, on the other hand, is still uncapped in international circuit but recently became the second highest wicket taker for the Melbourne Stars.The Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) marriage was made legal in New Zealand on August 19, 2013.Same-sex marriage was legalized in Australia as well on December 9, 2017.Last year in July, South African women’s cricket team captain Dane van Niekerk also married her teammate Marizanne Kapp.advertisementThe duo was only the second set of current international teammates to get married After New Zealand’s Amy Satterthwaite and Lea Tahuhu tied knot in 2017.Also Read | South Africa women’s cricket captain Van Niekerk marries teammate KappAlso Read | Nathan Lyon wants Australia to enjoy cricket on challenging India tour
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool legend Carragher adamant they can win leagueby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Jamie Carragher is convinced his old club can win the Premier League title this season.Carragher told Sky Sports that they are now looking like champions in the making.”City, in the last 18 months, have just gone away from everyone,” he said. “There was no real challenge last season. It felt like the season was over at this stage last season.”The fact Liverpool are with them now it maybe asks questions of this Man City side that we haven’t seen before.”I’m sure they’ll answer them, I’m not questioning them in that way, but I think it’s nice we have someone chasing this City side.”This City side is a special side, and I think over the next four or five years we will be speaking about a special team in this Premier League era. But could a side win the league three or four years on the bounce?”The great Manchester United sides found that difficult. There’s always someone who wins the league out of nowhere. Could this be the season when someone else actually wins it, and could it be Liverpool.”Liverpool can win the league.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Anderlecht player-manager Kompany interested in Bristol City defender Williamsby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAnderlecht player-manager Vincent Kompany is interested in signing veteran defender Ashley Williams.Kompany is eyeing the veteran to bolster his struggling side, according to reports.The former Manchester City captain has overseen just one win this season with his side already 14 points behind leaders Club Brugge.The Sun says the 33-year-old is eyeing up a swoop for current Bristol City defender Williams when his contract ends in January. Williams left Everton at the end of last season.