Criminal charges were filed Thursday against an Orange County oil company blamed for the oily black sludge that forced more than 100 downtown residents to flee their apartments earlier this year. City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo filed a nine-count criminal complaint against St. James Oil Co. for allegedly causing the oil sludge leak. On Feb. 20, a tarlike goo oozed from manholes, buckled a street and forced 130 residents to vacate their apartment building for three days. Fire officials reported sidewalks heated to 103 degrees. The 1200 block of South Olive Street was closed for weeks. The charges against St. James Oil are among 22 environmental suits filed in the past month against area polluters by the city attorney’s Environmental Justice Unit. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3730160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2“Like the residents of South Olive Street, most of the victims of these environmental crimes – children and families in lower-income communities – cannot protect themselves,” Delgadillo said in a prepared statement. “We are sending a clear signal that these communities cannot be dumping grounds for others’ poisons.” Officials with Laguna Hills-based St. James Oil did not return phone calls Thursday. According to the complaint, the downtown sludge occurred after workers injected high-pressure hot water into an aging oil well in the 1300 block of South Broadway. When the water injection ceased, so did the oily flows and bulge on Olive Street. An investigation by the state Department of Fish and Game found that the sludge had entered city storm drains and made its way to Ballona Creek, which flows into the Pacific Ocean. If convicted, St. James Oil faces a $5,000 fine plus $1,000 for each count of violating the Clean Water Act. Also, the company might be forced to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in reparation costs to the city.
ATHLETICS NEWS: The annual Coláíste Aílígh 5K road race is back and will be held tomorrow, Tuesday (7pm start).The hugely popular event attracted a big crowd last year and organisers are expecting another large participation to this year’s event.Registration for the 5K starts at 5.30pm and the race begins at 7pm sharp. There will be shower and changing room facilities available for participants, while refreshments will also be served.It’s €8 for an individual adult and €5 for a child, while families can enter the race for €12.Last year’s event was a huge success and organisers are hoping this year can go one better.All monies raised go towards the school. GET OUT AND SUPPORT THE COLÁISTE AILIGH 5K was last modified: April 20th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:5kColaiste AilighfaceFun Run
The San Francisco Giants are expected to announce several new hires on Monday at the Winter Meetings, but one of the coaches joining the organization is now known.Cincinnati Reds assistant hitting coach Donnie Ecker is slated to join new manager Gabe Kapler’s staff as the Giants’ hitting coach, according to a report from The Athletic. A source confirmed Ecker’s hiring to the Bay Area News Group.Ecker, 33, spent last season with the Reds but previously served as a Triple-A hitting coach for …
More than 40 miles (70 kilometers) of dikes are in danger of overflowing in an eastern Chinese province where floods have caused $1.2 billion in losses, authorities said on Monday as the country neared a critical point in battling seasonal rains.Heavy rains pounded Zhejiang province over the weekend and the level of a river that passes through Lanxi city has risen sharply, said Zhao Fayuan, deputy director of the provincial flood control headquarters.The level of Lanjiang river has now hit 110 feet (34 meters), the highest since 1966, the headquarters said.Several sections of the dikes in Lanxi city are barely holding, Zhao said. More than 20,000 people could be affected if the dikes are breached, he was quoted as saying by Xinhua News Agency.The province’s flood control headquarters advised Lanxi officials to evacuate all residents near the dikes that are at risk of overflowing, and to repair them immediately.Recent flooding has destroyed 600,000 acres (241,600 hectares) of farmland and caused 1,846 companies to stop production in Zhejiang, incurring 7.69 billion yuan ($1.19 billion) in direct economic losses, the province’s flood control agency said on Monday. Of these, 3.4 billion yuan were agricultural losses. Coastal Zhejiang is one of China’s richest provinces and its economy grew 11.8 percent in 2010.Flooding in eastern and southern China has triggered landslides, cut off power and telecommunications and left more than 180 people dead or missing. Another five people were killed on Sunday and one remains missing after surging floodwaters swept them away in their southwest villages, Xinhua reported on Monday.China’s minister for water resources said on Sunday that the country was entering a crucial period for flood control as severe floods triggered by heavy rains threaten southern areas.advertisementIt is likely that more frequent and more intense downpours will continue, Chen Lei told a meeting in Beijing to discuss flood-control measures, Xinhua reported.He urged local authorities to improve weather forecasting and ensure dikes, reservoirs and dams are safe. China’s national weather agency said Monday that torrential rains will continue in southern and eastern areas for the next three days.However, while the deadly flooding continues, a persistent drought is still plaguing five provinces in the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River. It has left 630,000 people without safe drinking water and affected 11.9 million acres (4.8 million hectares) of farmland, Chen said.- With AP inputsFor more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.