Churchill, Starring Ronald Keaton, Will Play Off-Broadway

first_img Show Closed This production ended its run on July 12, 2015 The production will feature scenic and lighting design by Jason Epperson, projection design by Paul Deziel and sound design by Eric Backus. Churchill Churchill, a new play adapted and performed by Chicago-based actor Ronald Keaton, will have its off-Broadway premiere this winter. The show, which debuted in the Windy City last year, will begin performances at New World Stages on February 6 and open officially on February 18. Kurt Johns will direct. Related Shows View Comments The play follows the British Prime Minister in 1946, after having led Britain and the Allies to victory in World War II and being defeated for re-election. Sitting in forced retirement with his wife Clementine at their Chartwell home, Winston Churchill receives an invitation from President Harry Truman to speak at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri, where he will deliver his legendary, emphatic “Iron Curtain” speech.last_img read more

Branding, hippies and the NFL

first_imgWatching my Seahawks play the Cardinals last night, I was struck by Volkswagen’s latest ad campaign. Perhaps taking a page out of Subaru’s “love promise” – pitching its brand over products – the German automaker is pledging to put “people first.”The spot features hippies cramming into a 1960s VW microbus during a rain storm. Stuck in the mud, some other bohemians driving a VW Beetle hop out to help push their new-found friends out of a jam. It’s got a very Woodstock vibe to it, with Joe Cocker’s “With a Little Help from My Friends” playing in the background. The ad concludes with a new “People First” warranty.Volkswagen is doing something very intentional, and ­– in my opinion – rightfully so.Do you remember how the automaker cheated pollution emissions testing in 2015? Global sales fell 2% in the wake of the emissions scandal. This year, however, sales are up 9.2% as they bring vigor back to the brand. They are reminding drivers why you fell in love with Volkswagen in the first place. continue reading » 7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Levittown Man Charged With Hit-and-run in Road Rage Feud

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A man was arrested for allegedly hitting a 22-year-old woman with his car and then fleeing the scene following a road rage confrontation in his hometown of Levittown on Thursday morning, Nassau County police said.Robert W. Anderson was charged with assault, criminal mischief and leaving the scene of an accident.Second Squad detectives said the 58-year-old man was driving his Ford Taurus westbound on Hempstead Turnpike when he “became involved in an incident” with a 22-year-old woman driving a Ford Mustang at 11:10 a.m.Anderson allegedly started following the victim aggressively, but when the victim stopped for a traffic light at the corner of Hamlet Road, he failed to stop and rear-ended the victim’s car, police said.When the victim got out of her car to take a photo of the suspect’s car, he drove his car into her knees as he fled the scene, police said. A witness followed Anderson and alerted police to his location, authorities said.The victim was treated at the scene for minor neck and knee injuries. Anderson will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Hempstead.last_img read more

My Reno: DIYer says ‘never again’ after gruelling 6 year makeover

first_img RENO FACT CHECK Time taken: 6 years Total spend: $200,000center_img The house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, after the renovation.THEY lived through a six-year home renovation with two young children, so it’s little wonder John and Cathy Cook have decided to throw in the tools.The couple is selling the family home they have completely updated themselves at 183 Raeburn Street, Manly West, after transporting it from the 1970s to the 2020s.Mr Cook said they fell in love with the size of the block of land — 2300 sqm — when they first saw the property.“We had a house on 400 sqm down at Manly and had just had the two kids,” Mr Cook said. “We were looking for a bigger block of land and found this property online. “It had been on the market for quite a while because it needed a lot of work.” BEFORE: The house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, before the renovation. AFTER: The house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, after the renovation.The house had not been touched since 1974, but that did not deter the Cooks.“It had good bones, hardwood frames and was beautifully built,” Mr Cook said.The Cooks and their two children, aged four and six, moved in straight away and set to work.As Mr Cook was a painter, decorator and plasterer by trade, he chose to do it all himself — apart from the electrical and plumbing work.“It took six years from start to finish,” Mr Cook said.He decided not to change the configuration of the home, which was already spacious enough with its four bedrooms and two bathrooms. BEFORE: The kitchen in the house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, before the renovation. AFTER: The kitchen in the house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, after the renovation.He began by stripping the internal linings of the walls and ceilings and replacing the old plasterboard.The kitchen was the first room to be renovated and the most challenging to live without.“We had a lot of barbecues!” Mr Cook said.The cupboards and benchtops had to be redone, all new appliances were installed and a striking glass, red splashback added as a feature.The flooring is unique, with the Cooks choosing commercial vinyl over more popular materials. Mr Cook chose a light grey, metallic vinyl and cut and welded black circles into it for a point of difference. BEFORE: The living area of the house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, before the renovation. AFTER: The living room after the renovation.Embossed wallpaper was used to create feature walls in the living areas and Mr Cook added built-in cabinets, fireplaces, and niches and nooks for storage.“We wanted it to be modern, but still have a nice, homely feel about it,” he said.But it was the outside that required the most work and money.“We had to replace the structural steel around the decks, and the retaining walls in the yard had to be removed and granite boulder retaining walls installed,” Mr Cook said.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus10 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market10 hours agoJust clearing the yard in the first place took months.And then they also decided to put in a pool. BEFORE: The outdoor terrace on the house at 183 Raeburn St, Manly West, before the renovation. AFTER: The outdoor entertaining area of the house after the renovation.The Cooks are downsizing now their children have finished school, but have no plans to do another renovation.“Never again,” Mr Cook said. “Absolutely no more renovations.”His advice to home renovators planning to do most of the work themselves was to think about how much time and effort was involved in the process.“You work 40 to 50 hours a week and then have to motivate yourself to work on (the house) every weekend,” Mr Cook said.“As a tradesman, even I went in with rose coloured glasses thinking I’d get it done in one or two years, but it doesn’t happen that way. “It’s a massive amount of work by yourself.” The property is being offered for sale through Ian Walkley of Place – Manly and has a price guide of offers over $1.19 million.last_img read more

Nearly 5,000 killed in Congo measles outbreak

first_imgThe government and the World Health Organization launched an emergency vaccination program in September that aimed to inoculate over 800,000 children amid measles outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. AFP/GETTY The Congolese government and the WHOlaunched an emergency vaccination program in September that aimed to inoculateover 800,000 children.   According to the WHO, measles is ahighly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus and it is normally passedthrough direct contact and through the air. It is a human disease and is notknown to occur in animals.(BBC) CONGO – Measles killed nearly 5,000people in the Democratic Republic of Congo this year, authorities said, afterthe disease spread to all the provinces in the country.  The World Health Organization (WHO)said this was the world’s largest and fastest-moving epidemic.  Measles in this country has killedover twice the number of those killed by Ebola in the last 15 months.   Close to a quarter of a million peoplewere infected this year alone, the authorities added.last_img read more

Maguindanao massacre verdict out Dec. 19

first_imgMANILA – The long-awaited verdict onthe Maguindanao Massacre case will be finally out this month. Fifty-eight people, including 32journalists and six motorists who were not part of the convoy, were killed inwhat is the worst case of election-related violence in Philippine history./PN On Nov. 23, 2009, a convoy composed ofrelatives, supporters, and media were on their way to file Mangudadatu’scertificate of candidacy for the 2010 elections when they were stopped by armedmen, driven to a hill, shot, and buried in shallow pits. Zaldy has been confined in the hospital since October after a stroke while Sajid was allowed to post bail in 2015. Among those who were due for sentencingwere primary suspects Datu Andal “Unsay” Ampatuan Jr., his brothers Sajid andZaldy, who were detained in his hospital since October.center_img The Quezon City Regional Trial Court incharge of the case set the date of promulgation of judgment on the multiplemurder cases filed against over 100 suspects – including members of theAmpatuan clan – on December 19, 9 a.m. at the Quezon City Jail-Annex in CampBagong Diwa, Taguig City. The landmark decision for the Maguindanao Massacre case will be out Thursday, Dec. 19, which would put to rest multiple murder charges for 58 deaths a decade ago. CNN PH QC RTC Branch 221 Judge JocelynSolis-Reyes announced the date of the promulgation on Monday in a notice thatwas sent to the parties of the case.last_img read more

Observe social distancing at all times, Negrenses urged

first_imgBY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGABACOLOD City – Negros Occidental top cop Colonel Romeo Baleros is urging the public to strictly adhere health protocols set to further curtail the spread of SARS-coV-2, the virus that causes  coronavirus disease 2019. In a bid to strictly enforce these rules, Baleros proposed that all traffic enforcers from various local government units in the province, along with terminal supervisors, and local police must coordinate with one another in order to control the crowd and observe social distancing.Baleros said he doesn’t want to come to the point that they will be forced to arrest violators, as he pointed out it is not their obligation to reprimand individuals.He added it is the responsibility of every individual to observe social distancing and wearing face masks when outdoors./PN He made rounds in the town of La Castellana and Bago City last Monday discovered that commuters are neglecting social distancing measures.center_img There is no way for anyone to skirt these, Baleros stressed as he cited the resumption of mass transportation in the province under the general community quarantine. last_img read more

Abandoned barn destroyed by fire in Batesville

first_imgBatesville, In. — An abandoned barn on State Road 229 near Northside Drive was destroyed by fire Halloween night. Around 12:27 a.m. firefighters discovered the structure fully engulfed in flames.No injuries were reported. The barn was a total loss. The cause is under investigation.Oldenburg Eagle Fire Company and the Morris Volunteer Fire Department provided mutual aid.last_img

Berahino rescues point for Baggies

first_img It was a poor goal to concede but the Baggies almost levelled five minutes later only for Speroni to turn Craig Gardner’s rising drive wide. Graham Dorrans then fired over but it was a brief bright spot from the sloppy Baggies who struggled to deal with Bolasie and Zaha. The duo were a constant threat and Bolasie’s cross was inches away from Campbell after West Brom had lost possession. Organised and robust the visitors were in control against their hosts, who looked short of ideas despite just one defeat in their last five games. And Palace probably should have had a penalty nine minutes before the break when Dawson appeared to fell Zaha but Clattenburg ignored any – muted – appeals. Yet the Eagles did make it 2-0 from the spot on 45 minutes when the hapless Sebastien Pocognoli clattered into Bolasie. It was a foolish tackle so close to half-time and Jedinak sent Foster the wrong way to put Palace in complete control – a position which weakened six minutes after the break in controversial style. Berahino – who had been quiet – forced Speroni into a fine low stop from 18 yards but the Baggies scored from the resulting corner. Brunt’s delivery found Anichebe, who had replaced Stephane Sessegnon at half-time, to nod in but Speroni had been fouled after defender Dawson clattered into him. The keeper needed treatment for a head injury and was eventually replaced by Wayne Hennessey – although not before initially refusing to come off in comical fashion. The game had changed and Palace had relinquished their comfortable advantage with the Baggies finding their missing belief. Gardner kissed the bar from 25 yards before Berahino blazed over from the edge of the area with 14 minutes left. Palace’s threat had been nullified and the Baggies finally levelled in injury time when Jedinak’s rash challenge on Anichebe in the area allowed Berahino to drill in low from the spot. Saido Berahino’s injury-time penalty rescued a point for West Brom as they fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Crystal Palace. Brede Hangeland and Jedinak’s penalty had fired Palace into a commanding half-time lead. Palace were also denied what appeared to be a clear first-half spot-kick when referee Mark Clattenburg failed to spot Dawson’s foul on Wilfried Zaha. Goalkeeper Ben Foster returned for West Brom having missed Monday’s 2-2 draw with Manchester United with a calf injury. Berahino started up front for the in-form Baggies, with £10million record signing Brown Ideye again on the bench after recovering from an ankle injury. Palace boss Neil Warnock made three changes from last weekend’s 2-1 defeat to Chelsea as Zaha, Adrian Mariappa and Marouane Chamakh replaced Jason Puncheon, James McArthur and the suspended Damien Delaney. After a quiet opening Palace began to dominate against the lethargic Baggies. Yannick Bolasie’s 18-yard effort deflected wide before Foster turned Fraizer Campbell’s header over on 16 minutes – only for Palace to score from the resulting corner. Bolasie’s cross caused chaos and Hangeland poked in from inside the six-yard box after his initial header had cannoned off Dawson. The striker slammed in his eighth goal of the season after Mile Jedinak had felled Victor Anichebe, who had started the Baggies comeback when he nodded in early in the second half. Palace were upset, though, as Craig Dawson fouled Julian Speroni to allow Anichebe to score – forcing the keeper off with a head injury. Press Associationlast_img read more

Bellew, Haye Get BBB of C Warning ahead of Heavyweight Bout

first_imgTony Bellew and David Haye have been warned by the British Boxing Board of Control about their conduct during this week’s filming of The Gloves Are Off, says promoter Eddie Hearn.The bitter rivals will come face to face for the first time since their press conference bust-up in November and have continued to trade insults ahead of their heavyweight grudge fight at The O2 on March 4.Tempers boiled over as they posed for press conference pictures as Bellew shoved Haye, who responded by aiming a punch at the Merseysider, and the Board has vowed to take severe action if there is a repeat of these scenes. Hearn, who is Bellew’s promoter, told Sky Sports: “Of course you’re in a situation where it’s the first time they have come face to face since the last time where one pushed one and one hit the other, so it’s not ideal.“But I think Tony is sensible enough and they have both been warned by the British Boxing Board of Control. Any more problems and they both have the threat of their licence being taken away.”Asked if he will speak to Bellew, Hearn said: “One hundred per cent, both of them actually.“David is not really going to listen to me, but I feel like I have got a relationship with Tony where I can. But when you’re a foot away from another man that you dislike and the insults are being traded across the floor, anything can happen.“That’s also the beauty of the show. We need to keep the rawness of that and also remember that we have a reputation to keep, and an image to protect for the sport of boxing.”Bellew has suggested that Haye could ‘quit’ if the fight becomes too demanding, while the Londoner insists he is physically better than ever, and Hearn believes both will be trying to gain a mental edge on The Gloves Are Off.“Haye and Bellew are very intelligent, they have been around the sport for a while, and I think they are going to be trying to play mind games with each other as well in this,” said Hearn.“This will be interesting to watch. Not just from the rawness and the volatility of the two of them, but actually from a mental aspect as well. I think they will both try and get under each other’s skins in various different ways.”Bellew has demanded an apology from Haye for his punch at the press conference, but Hearn doubts whether he will receive one.He said: “No I don’t. I don’t know how he thinks that’s going to come, in the form of flowers, or maybe a box of Milk Tray, but no, I can’t see it. Perhaps he should ask for one.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more